When I’m working with my clients one of the very early things we do in the process is to talk to your customers. If you want to know how to create awesome messaging that connects and magnetizes your customers, it’s simple, just talk to your customers! The more masterful you become at knowing how your customers think, what they are concerned about and what they desire, the more desirable you will be to them.
One of the most common mistakes I see with my clients is that they forget what it’s like to not know what they know. In other words, they’re just too smart and it goes right over their clients head. As a result, their messaging tends to miss the mark because their customers don’t connect with what they’re saying and end up not taking action to resolve the issue your product or service solves.
A simple rule of thumb is what I call the 9:1 ratio, which is 9 parts empathy for your customer, 1 part your expertise. Try writing with that in mind next time you’re doing a blog post, tweaking website copy, or doing a social media post. Really empathize with what’s going on in the hearts and minds of your customers.
The following list of questions is a guideline to help you get started. Please use this as a guide and go ahead and tailor it your business specifically.
Before you ask your customers these questions, it’s important to be clear on who you want to ask so that you create messaging that magnetizes your ideal clients. If you don’t already have a clear picture of who you want to attract I invite you to get describe the ideal customer that you will interview for this research and give them a “nickname” ie: expecting moms, health coaches, gifted entrepreneurs. Create a profile of 1-3 ideal customers that captures their personality profile, motivations, demographics, budget, behaviours etc.)
- What are your top 3 daily triggers, problems and/or frustrations around (insert your topic)? (Identity what problems your customer is consciously experiencing and capture the language they use)
- What’s this problem costing you?
(Identify the core fear that’s causing your customer to suffer. Uncover what’s urgent about the problem to prompt them into buying your product / service)
- What goals do you have for (your topic) this year?
(Reveal your customer’s goals and desired outcomes and speak to those goals in your message)
- How would your life change if you achieved these goals?
(Tap into their deeper emotions and desires about your products / services)
- What’s your customers desired feeling or dream scenario?
(Identity their irrational or even subconscious desires that may even feel like an impossible outcome. Put another way what would make (your topic) credit card worthy)
- If you could have any question answered about (your topic) what would it be?
(Reveal new topics or areas of interest that you may not have considered for blog posts, co-create new product + services)
- What’s held you back from solving these problems in the past?
(Here you are gaining insights into their objections or hesitations to buy (your topic). The purpose is to give you insights into how to mitigate their objections within your offering such as a guarantee, social proof, return policy etc.)
- When words come to mind when you think about your top 3 challenges for (your topic)?
(Here you are uncovering the most powerful words to use when mirroring their frustrations back to them.
- What key words come to mind when you think about your top 3 goals or desires for your (insert your product / service)?
(Here you are uncovering the most powerful words to use when mirroring their desires back to them. Words such as productive, successful, beautiful, connected)
- If I could promise you (x results) what would that be worth to you?
(Gain insights for determining your price point)
Need to chat with a branding expert directly?
No problem, schedule a call with us today!