5 Keys to Creating Your Perfect Manifesto
It’s time to develop your brand manifesto. You’re motivated. You’re passionate. You’re committed. In short, you feel ready. But where to start? You know you want—and need—to craft a manifesto that will evoke emotion, that will convey your guiding principles and beliefs, not only to your target audience but also to your staff. When reading your manifesto, what will your community feel? And, will they feel compelled to get on board with you, to act with you? After all, a manifesto is a call to action. Here are five things to consider when getting started:
1) Don’t Rush It – Crafting a brand manifesto is no easy task. It requires a tremendous amount of deep thought and soul-searching questioning. It requires collaboration and a solid understanding of the direction you want your business to head.
2) Build a Solid Foundation – Think of the manifesto as the foundation of your vision. It keeps you on the right path while allowing you room for creative and relevant side trips that ultimately enhance your brand. And it gets people excited.
3) Involve Others – If you have staff in place, include them in the creation process. If you don’t have staff, chose a few members of your audience and ask them. While this adds another layer to the amount of work involved, the result is invaluable. Think about it. Your manifesto then becomes a guidepost not only for your audience but for your employees as well. You want your staff to feel connected to and invested in the goals. Soul Cycle does a fantastic job of this with their video manifesto (below). Here are some conversation starters to get your first “manifesto meeting” rolling:
- What do we want to be known for?
- What do we intend to do?
- What feeling(s) do we want our brand to evoke?
- What do we care deeply about?
- What do we want to show the world?
4) Find the Shape and Size that Fits your Brand – Brand manifestos can take many shapes. Some are short and sweet, like Bean Sprouts, while others are a bit more involved, as is Lululemon. Manifestos that make an especially powerful impact generally possess a visual element as well. Perhaps you’ll even decide to create a video, like Soul Cycle or One More Woman. Your manifesto may look a lot like one of these, or it may fall somewhere in the middle. There are no firm requirements regarding its shape.
5) Live your Manifesto – Whether you’re developing a one-line micro-manifesto or something longer, be sure to ask yourself, do we believe this? Can we live this? If you’ve crafted a powerful and meaningful manifesto, your answer will be simple and clear—a resounding yes.
Remember, creating the perfect manifesto takes time. It’s a process that likely won’t happen in one sitting or in one night. Be patient—and enjoy the process. Now get going!
Want to know more about naming your business, branding your business, re-branding your business, branding a startup, creating a tagline, creating a manifesto, creating a vision statement, creating a logo, or anything else about getting your company where you want it to be? Please contact us today!
And be sure to join me on Facebook Live every Tuesday.